What Should You Do If Your Roof is Damaged After a Wind or Hail Storm
Step 1: Choose a Professional Roofing Contractor
Call G&R Roofing to setup a Free Inspection Appointment. We will examine, evaluate and document all damages to your property. After the inspection, the contractor will determine whether it is advisable to make a claim.
Step 2: File a Claim
Contact your Insurance Company through their claims department. Inform them that your property has sustained damage and give them the type of damage (hail, wind, etc.) and the date of loss. At this time, let them know that a professional G&R Roofing contractor has examined the property and who that contractor is. Your insurance company will give you a claim number at this time. Write this number down and provide it to your contractor for reference.
Step 3: Insurance Adjuster Meeting
An Insurance Adjuster will contact you within 48 hours of making a claim to schedule an appointment at your property. Inform them of the contractor you have selected and that you would like G&R Roofing to be present for the inspection. Confirm to G&R Roofing the date when your insurance adjuster will be out for the inspection so we can meet them during inspection. We will discuss damages to your roof and type of work needed to take place with the insurance adjuster. This includes all measurements, pricing and any code upgrade requirements necessary to bring your property back to its original condition before the storm.
Step 4: Insurance Summary
The Insurance company will send you a loss summary report containing the list of damages and the proceeds associated. Along with the summary will be your first installment check called ACV (actual cash value payment). It is important to review this with your G&R Roofing Contact to insure that it’s complete and accurate. At this time, you will determine repairs to be made and products to be installed.
Step 5: Actual Roof Installaton
**Most Roof Replacements take only One Day to Install**
- Remove all Existing Old Shingles – discards are placed in a dump trailer and hauled away to an approved landfill
- Replace or Repair Bad Decking or 1″x6″ boards, whichever is applicable to your roof.
- Install Ice & Water Shield – Used as an underlayment to protect sloped roofs from water penetration due to wind-driven rain and water back-up resulting from ice dams
- Apply Underlayment – Building codes and shingle manufacturers all require the use of a roof underlayment, such as an asphalt roof felt paper or synthetic
- Apply Shingles – starting at eaves and working upwards
- Install Ventilation – installed at the peak of a sloped roof which allows warm, humid air to escape a building’s attic
- Clean up surrounding area to ensure it is free of nails and discarded roofing materials
Step 6: Insurance Claim Completion
Once your project has been completed, G&R Roofing will send a final invoice with any supplements to the insurance company. This will release any remaining funds being withheld. This is called Recoverable Depreciation.
Step 7: Final Payment and Warranty Information
Upon receipt of final payment from insurance company, G&R Roofing will provide you with warranty information for products used. Contact us today to get started!